Yumanity Therapeutics is transforming drug discovery for neurodegenerative diseases caused by protein misfolding. We are passionate in our commitment to bring innovation to an area of critical global medical need and create a positive impact on the lives of patients with neurodegenerative diseases.
If you would like to be considered for a position at Yumanity Therapeutics, please submit your CV with the title of the position in the subject line to email@example.com.
Staff Scientist – Medicinal Chemistry
Yumanity Therapeutics is transforming drug discovery for neurodegenerative diseases caused by protein misfolding. Despite the fact that an estimated 50 million people worldwide suffer from diseases affecting the brain and central nervous system, there are no approved disease-modifying therapies or cures. Yumanity is working to identify and develop new, disease-modifying therapies that address illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The company’s approach concentrates on correcting the cellular pathologies driven by misfolded proteins, the altered biology or phenotypes driving these diseases.
This lab-based chemist will be a key part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists and will be involved in the design, synthesis, purification, and characterization of novel drugs in the areas of neurodegenerative disease. In this dynamic team focused role, the qualified candidate will also be expected to manage and run the chemistry laboratory, and act as a mentor for junior chemists as needed.
- Design, synthesis, purification, and characterization of novel drugs in the areas of neurodegenerative disease
- Scientist expected to independently drive research of a portion of the medicinal chemistry project team
- Act as a synthetic chemistry resource within the medicinal chemistry department to solve challenging synthetic problems that arise in our internal and external teams
- Contribute to the writing and execution of patent applications
- Work effectively with external collaborators and CROs
- Execute with significant initiative, ingenuity, efficiency, and speed
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of lab equipment (NMR, LCMS etc.)
Experience & Skills required:
- BS or MS in synthetic organic chemistry with >10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience working on various drug targets and chemical scaffolds, across multiple therapeutic areas, is preferred
Level of Independence and Initiative:
- Capable of independently designing and executing data driven experiments and tasks
- Completely independent with regards to synthetic chemistry
- Bi-weekly supervision appropriate for medicinal chemistry / drug discovery / managerial discussions
- Recognizes and independently engages appropriate sources of information such as literature, colleagues, etc.
- Seen as a synthetic chemistry leader in department, often impacts others in department through suggestions and pioneering new techniques/equipment
- Seen as an important player in a medicinal chemistry project team, often makes important suggestions on medicinal chemistry strategy
Scientific Proficiency, Knowledge and Expertise:
- Can compile and interpret data from a variety of sources
- Solid understanding of multiple areas of organic chemistry
- Knowledge of medicinal chemistry principles and drug discovery concepts (e.g. PK, biological assay types)
- Solid understanding of basic concepts in biology; scientist expected to work closely with biologists at Yumanity
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency in advancing research
- Flexibly adapts strategy and tactics
- Demonstrates a respect for others and is highly effective in a team
- Fosters teamwork and actively participates in the review of projects with colleagues throughout the company
- Ability to effectively present ideas and document concepts in writing and orally
- Ability to think strategically to improve current processes within the chemistry department
- Standard organic chemistry lab; typical reaction scale: 20 mg – 200 g.
- Minor lifting of intermediates, glassware and equipment
- Standing at hood for prolonged periods of time